Spinach Artichoke Dip
Whether you like it cold with crackers or hot and bubbly right from the oven, (my preference) I think we can all agree that spinach artichoke dip is a classic. The only problem is it can sometimes be a bit bland, so I added a little onion, garlic and cayenne to give it more depth of flavor. The truth is, I wasn’t even going to post this (hence the bad photo) but Scott snuck a taste while I was plating up the sliced baguette and said I should share it. So here you go!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 12 oz fresh spinach, roughly chopped and larger stems removed
- 1 – 14 oz can or jar quartered artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- A pinch of cayenne pepper, plus more if you like more heat
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 8 oz cream cheese, cubed and at room temperature
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated mozzarella, divided
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino or parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 baguette, sliced in 1/2 in. pieces
Preheat oven to 400 F. Butter a 9×9 inch glass baking dish.
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat, add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cayenne cook 1 minute.
Stir in spinach a handful at a time allowing it to wilt down between handfuls. Add artichokes, salt and pepper and cook 5 minutes until all the spinach is cooked down and any liquid has evaporated.
Turn off the heat and stir in cream cheese until melted. Add the mayonnaise and sour cream and stir to combine. Fold in 1 cup of the mozzarella and 1/4 cup of the pecorino.
Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if needed.
Transfer the dip to your buttered baking dish and top with the remaining mozzarella and pecorino, bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and bubbly.
During the last few minutes of baking, place your baguette slices evenly on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 3-5 minutes until just slightly golden.
Serve hot with your toasted baguette and tortilla chips.