Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
I was in the mood for a comforting dinner last night but I got a late start cooking and needed something that would come together quick, so I made sweet potato black bean chili. It took just a few minutes to prep and then the stove did the rest of the work. I used two cans of black beans, but you could use one can of black beans and one can of kidney beans if you’d prefer. If you have some other veggies in the refrigerator that you want to use up, like zucchini carrots or spinach, this is the perfect way to do so.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2-1 cup vegetable stock, depending on how thick you want it
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 15-oz cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- Grated sharp cheddar, greek yogurt, parsley and tortilla chips to serve
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat, add the onions, garlic, sweet potatoes and bell pepper and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add all of the spices and the tomato paste and stir to coat.
Add the vegetable stock and stir, scraping the bottom of the pot to release all of those spices.
Stir in the tomatoes and black beans, turn the heat on high, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover the pot and cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally so it doesn’t stick.
Remove the lid and continue to cook a few minutes until desired thickness.
Serve hot with lots of cheese and chips, a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream and a sprinkling of fresh parsley…or cilantro if you’re one of those people. 🙁
In the mood for cornbread? Click here
2 thoughts on “Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili”
Absolutely delicious and perfect for a cozy winters night. Recipe was very easy to follow and I love the spices!
I’m so glad you liked it! I’ll text you the extra secret spice that I use. Don’t tell anyone!