Pronounced “jar-din-air-ah”, this recipe is the little condiment that could. Giardiniera is typically used as an antipasto, or on muffuletta and beef sandwiches. But this delicious, pickled condiment can be used in so many other ways. We like to chop it up and add it to our salads, turkey wraps and chicken pitas with hummus. It also takes a slice of cheese pizza to a whole new level! I know pickling can sound daunting, but trust me, this is actually very easy and the end result is quite rewarding.
Makes four 1-pint jars
- 1 pound (about 1/2 a head) cauliflower, cored and cut into 1/2-inch florets
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut 1/4 inch thick on bias
- 4 celery ribs, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1-2 serrano chilie, (depending on how hot you want it) stemmed and sliced thin
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1 cup fresh dill, bundled into a cheesecloth and tied
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 3/4 cups white wine vinegar
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1/4 sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
Place the dill sachet, oregano, vinegar, water, sugar and salt into a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and let it steep for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, divide all the veggies, chilies and garlic between the jars and set aside.
Once the liquid has steeped, remove the dill sachet, place pot back on the heat and bring to a boil again then pour evenly over each jar of vegetables. Let the jars cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate for at least 7 days so that the flavors meld and veggies are nice and pickled.
That gives you 7 days to be proud every time you open the fridge to see your beautiful jars of Giardiniera!
Enjoy this magic condiment however you choose. The jars will keep for about a month in the fridge, but I don’t think it will last that long.
Bring a jar of this briny goodness to your next BBQ or dinner party for a unique hostess gift.
Make this recipe in smaller jars and put a jar at each place setting for a fun favor your guests will love.